httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <Martin.Krae...@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>
Subject Re: ssl-std.conf
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2001 23:30:50 GMT
On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 03:17:36PM -0800, Daniel Lopez wrote:

> The ServerName directive syntax changed with 2.0
> There is no Port directive anymore and I think that is what is causing the
> problem, it needs to be explictly declared on the servername if the port is
> other than 80

But that makes no sense! I can have dozens of "Listen" directives (without
dozens of virtual hosts!), or a <Virtualhost ip.ad.d.r:*> block.
So what would you write on the ServerName then?
  "ServerName host.name.dom:*" ?

> > IMHO the real fix is to repair the place where the ":80" is appended

It should append the actual port on which the request appeared, and no
halfway guessed default from a /etc/services list. That was the whole idea
behind removing the "Port" directive which could lie about the "canonical"
port, wasn't it? (Or was the idea that "ServerName host.name.dom:8443"
would do the same as "Port 8443" in 1.3?)

At least, the heuristics should be fixed. It is plain wrong to redirect
a request coming in via ssl on port 8443, to a location "https://hostname:80/".

So, IMHO,

* In the absense of a port on the ServerName, the port should be taken from
  the actual request, and not incorrectly guessed/derived from the protocol.

* when a port is present on the ServerName, then the implementation can
  use that in place of the actual port.

  Martin
--
<Martin.Kraemer@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>         |     Fujitsu Siemens
Fon: +49-89-636-46021, FAX: +49-89-636-47655 | 81730  Munich,  Germany