httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/ssl config.m4
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2001 08:19:07 GMT
On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 11:52:02PM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
> >   -APACHE_MODULE(ssl, [SSL/TLS support (mod_ssl)], $ssl_objs, , no, [
> >   +APACHE_MODULE(ssl, [SSL/TLS support (mod_ssl)], [$ssl_objs \$(EXTRA_LIBS)], ,
no, [

> Huh?? Why aren't the libraries linked into the module? Why does it need to
> be specified explicitly?

If we don't explicitly the libs we can't use mod_ssl as a DSO. (It'll
link, but it will be unable to find symbols at loadtime.)

> To me, it seems like the correct fix is to put the EXTRA_LIBS on the link
> line... not on each of the modules that might *happen* to require libraries.

We could do that, but I don't think the way it is now is complete either.
It seems to me that we need to revamp APACHE_CHECK_SSL_TOOLKIT to deal
with the various cases here:

a) has libcrypto.so and libssl.so
b) has libcrypto.a and libssl.a only

1) linking statically with httpd
2) linking dynamically (creating a DSO)

We could add this to the SH_LINK macro as you suggested, or we could just
add -L/path/to/ssl -R/path/to/ssl -lssl and the same set for crypto directly
into the link phase for mod_ssl. I'm not sure at this point which was
is the right way to go.

Is the prefered way to check for libraries that a module depends on
to put those checks into the last paramter of APACHE_MODULE?

-aaron