httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: ssl-std.conf
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2001 23:51:05 GMT
On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 12:30:50AM +0100, Martin Kraemer wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 03:17:36PM -0800, Daniel Lopez wrote:
> >
> > The ServerName directive syntax changed with 2.0
> > There is no Port directive anymore and I think that is what is causing the
> > problem, it needs to be explictly declared on the servername if the port is
> > other than 80
>
> But that makes no sense! I can have dozens of "Listen" directives (without
> dozens of virtual hosts!), or a <Virtualhost ip.ad.d.r:*> block.
> So what would you write on the ServerName then?
>   "ServerName host.name.dom:*" ?

ServerName without a port simply means redirect on the port in server_rec.
This is just a side-effect of the Port directive being removed -- it would
be just as broken to require Port be defined wherever ssl is used.

> > > IMHO the real fix is to repair the place where the ":80" is appended
>
> It should append the actual port on which the request appeared, and no
> halfway guessed default from a /etc/services list. That was the whole idea
> behind removing the "Port" directive which could lie about the "canonical"
> port, wasn't it? (Or was the idea that "ServerName host.name.dom:8443"
> would do the same as "Port 8443" in 1.3?)

The server must store sufficient information in the server_rec in order
for the request to generate a default redirect.  That means both the scheme
name and the port number if the port is not the default for that scheme.
In other words, just add two more string pointers to server_rec and have
the server initialize them at start-up, and then change our redirect
generating code to use those values.

....Roy