httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: BSD Makefiles (was Re: httpd 2.0.27 tarballs are available)
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2001 13:22:45 GMT
Cliff Woolley wrote:

> Okay, so I've been looking into this (thanks for the account), and I'm
> starting to see the problem.  Looks like our build/bsd_makefile and
> build/sysv_makefile scripts are doing a halfass job, and only SOME of the
> Makefiles are getting converted in either direction.
>
> Specifically, the Makefiles in apr-util are not getting converted to
> bsd-make flavor, which is why make doesn't work.

IMO the httpd-2.0 build system tries to be too "clever" rather than
being standard... Coversion to different make formats is just
too much effort for too little return. We should use 'sh' to
make the required substitutions and concat's as required rather
than trying to 'include' and other non-portable "solutions"
                   will lose both and deserve neither"