httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: BSD Makefiles (was Re: httpd 2.0.27 tarballs are available)
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2001 05:59:22 GMT
On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 12:52:56AM -0500, Cliff Woolley wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>
> > Flatten them.  APR deals with it by placing all of the rules in
> > one file and selectively activates the rules according to what variables
> > are set in the including file (e.g., SUBDIRS, TARGETS, etc.), which has
> > the effect of selecting a rule via its dependencies.
>
> Makes sense.
>
> [ Gotta love these "little" changes that snowball into an overhaul of the
>   build system.  :)  No wonder these things got put on hold. ]

Bingo!  I spent a truely hideous amount of time just getting to the point
where I understood what needed to be done.  I tried to do exactly what
you are starting on twice, but both times I ran into some other aspect
of the build system that required a couple days of work to fix first.
Good luck. ;-)

....Roy