httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: BSD Makefiles (was Re: httpd 2.0.27 tarballs are available)
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2001 05:45:24 GMT
> That sounds like a fine idea to me... except how do you deal with the fact
> that any given Makefile in httpd might include two or three different
> files, whereas in APR all Makefiles only include rules.mk?

Flatten them.  APR deals with it by placing all of the rules in
one file and selectively activates the rules according to what variables
are set in the including file (e.g., SUBDIRS, TARGETS, etc.), which has
the effect of selecting a rule via its dependencies.

httpd is including separate rules files based on what type of variables
would be set.  In other words, it is a config-time conditional rather
than a make-time conditional.  The problem is that it depends on include
being portable, which it isn't, which is why apr took a different path.

....Roy