httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: mod_ssl as DSO
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2001 03:49:09 GMT
On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 10:30:55PM -0500, MATHIHALLI,MADHUSUDAN (HP-Cupertino,ex1) wrote:
> Worker MPM / HP-UX 11.0.. All that I did was to do a "cvs update", run
> buildconf and then configure.. I didn't chose any specific locking mechanism
> - I'm using the default locking mechanism.. Do I need to do something
> different ?..

There's not much you can do to modify that at runtime. I don't know
what the equivalent is on HPUX, but on Solaris one could watch mpstat
and look for mutex contention. I only noticed mod_ssl using these two
sets of locks:

1) the openssl ones registered with a callback at ssl_util.c:398,
   which are currently apr_lock_t/APR_INTRAPROCESS locks, which
   on UNIX will be a pthread_mutex_t.

2) the big lock around all session cache accesses called pMutex. This
   is an APR_LOCKALL which means you'd have to look in apr.h to find
   out which one you're using (but it's probably an fcntl _and_ a
   pthread_mutex_t.

If I can figure out how to use mod_ssl, I'll try to get some profiling
data out of it.

-aaron