httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: mod_ssl as DSO
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2001 02:01:44 GMT
On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 05:17:40PM -0800, MATHIHALLI,MADHUSUDAN (HP-Cupertino,ex1) wrote:
> >What platform and MPM are you using? (ie if you are using a threaded MPM
> >like worker, do you still see the degradation with the prefork mpm?)
>
> HPUX 11.0, Worker MPM, 2.0.28-dev

I don't know if this is a known issue or not, but we may want to look
into reducing lock contention inside mod_ssl. All of the intraprocess
locks are being used in openssl, while the global locks look like they're
happening around all accesses of the session cache.

I will eventually convert all apr_lock_t types to the new APR lock
types, which may raise the ceiling but won't fix actual lock contention.

> I get unresolved symbols error during the LoadModule phase. The reason I
> introduced this is because when mod_ssl is being loaded, it should bring in
> all the dependent libraries (libssl and libcrypto).. It also means that we
> shouldn't be linking -lssl, -lcrypto with httpd or any other executables.

That makes sense. The reason I'm not seeing those problems is because
I've only got static libraries for ssl/crypto. I'll look into this further,
since I'm not sure that including all of EXTRA_LIBS is the best way to go.
Maybe APACHE_CHECK_SSL_TOOLKIT needs to be revamped to deal with DSOs
that dynamically link against shared versions of the openssl libs.

-aaron