httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: [BUG or FEATURE] OutputFilter executed twice
Date Sat, 03 Nov 2001 19:20:49 GMT
On Saturday 03 November 2001 04:24 am, Mladen Turk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on some module and found that my filter procedure gets executed
> twice for each request.
> Well, not just mine, but all filters do if you put something like following
> in the config file:
>
> AddHandler server-parsed .shtml
> <Files *.shtml>
>     SetOutputFilter INCLUDES
> </Files>
>
> Each .shtml file will be parsed twice :o)
>
> I don't know if that's the bug, It's not a feature I'm sure :-)
> Putting something like that in the config will double the response time.

This is a mis-config.  The AddHandler is doing the SetOutputFilter for you,
so that your config is essentially:

<Files *.shtml>
     SetOutputFilter INCLUDES
 </Files>
<Files *.shtml>
     SetOutputFilter INCLUDES
 </Files>

This is a feature, because it allows you to process a file multiple times for the
same type of format.  While 99% of people won't want to do this, adding
the overhead to check for this case when adding filters is not a good thing.

Ryan
Ryan Bloom				rbb@apache.org