httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Remove input filtering as a showstopper?
Date Tue, 20 Nov 2001 03:57:50 GMT
From: "Justin Erenkrantz" <jerenkrantz@ebuilt.com>
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2001 9:38 PM

> Would anyone complain if I downgrade the "revamp the input filter
> semantics" entry in STATUS from a showstopper to a "nice to wrap
> this up?"
>
> I'd say about 90% of it is done - the only thing left is

No... it's not.  Semantics include the ability for any of the filters
by any method to be positioned relative to others.

But for now, and given the rather simple cases that 2.0 users will
first employ filtering for, I suggest this could become a 2.1 issue
althogether, except for...

> determining what the heck to do with ap_getline().  I'm of the
> idea that there is no clean solution to this and I'm sort of
> content to just let it sit there as it is.
>
> Please read the STATUS entry for my thoughts on ap_getline.

If you mixed up ap_getline into the input filtering semantics,
you were very confused, please split those issues again.

ap_getline needs to behave as it once did, even if that means
calling the filter stack again with blocking for more data, or
pushing back the data where a subsequent call to ap_getline or
the block read can get at the overrun (of course this implies
pushback.)  If I'm confused, it's because I don't understand the
ap_getline issue any more than you understood the filtering issue
called semantics ;)

I think the point is, we are all tired and want to see folks _use_
Apache 2.0.  After that, some of these issues will come back into
better focus for 2.1 ;)

Any objections if we begin a ROADMAP file for good 2.1/2.2/3.0
generation ideas?

Bill