httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Win95 fails the Apache 2.0 beta
Date Tue, 20 Nov 2001 03:17:13 GMT
From: "Cliff Woolley" <cliffwoolley@yahoo.com>
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2001 7:57 PM

> I believe we've said we're not going to support Win9x/ME at WinNT/2K/XP's
> expense, right?

Well, we simply didn't actively develop on 9x.  Most of us have other
priorities, like optimizing around an OS with a security model and some
reasonable amount of process isolation.  The other aspect is choice of OS...
around here only the kids' games get booted into 9x, and then with the
network card crippled.

That doesn't mean we've dropped 9x, that means it is (literally) an
afterthought, that we hope some users will find useful at GA.

> We've been saying for quite some to expect that Win9x/ME
> would be broken.  I suppose we could have made that more clear in the
> Announcement...

Did we drop that?  Oh bother... well, read the big red warning at
http://httpd.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/win32/  :)

> On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, jlwpc1 wrote:
>
> > Windows 95 B (FAT32)
> >
> > Guess no one on this list has a Windows
> > 95 close by - I don't know why not!  :)

Or perhaps none of us bother to boot that partition too often.

In any case, this specific issue aught to be fixed, more surprizes
to be discovered sometime soon ;)  We already have an additional
sockets WSAENOTSUPPORTED bug out there to track down for 9x.

By the time (shortly, I hope) that 2.0 is ready to put to bed, those
folks interested in 9x will have piped up with their patches to clean up
backwards compatibility to the 9x mpm.

Bill