httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: 2 modules
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2001 05:17:05 GMT
From: "Justin Erenkrantz" <jerenkrantz@ebuilt.com>
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2001 11:09 PM

> On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 02:49:20PM -0800, Ian Holsman wrote:
>
> > 2. mod_sentinel (bad name) skips the file/directory walk and does a
> > open/fstat instead of stat/open to read the file, resulting in a
> > performance win when the file is on NFS, and you don't need to check
> > file permissions etc
>
> Wouldn't it be better to have this as an option in the core
> than as a separate module?  -- justin

++1  on integrating an apr_file_t * right into the request_rec.  This would
be an enormous advantage to everyone.

But don't suggest it's a user option - it's not.  And in fairness to our
module authors, lets please table it till 2.1.  Simply, we try a direct hit
on the file.  If we succeed with open/fstat, great, if not, we do the usual
stat [must be a dir, or access was denied.]

Other modules will win, too.  A file permanantly opened [cached] becomes
nothing but a dup2.  mod_mime_magic doesn't have to add an extra open/close
to the mix, it's nothing but a read/seek(0).  This is generally goodness.

But I'm guessing it's 3 months before everything is optimized and settles
out from this [very worthwhile] change.  Do we make everyone wait three more
months?  No, IMHO we offer a savory performance enhancement with 2.1.

Bill