httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: MPM re-write for network logic
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2001 03:22:40 GMT
From: "Ryan Bloom" <rbb@covalent.net>
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2001 8:55 PM

> The problem that remains is Windows.  Windows starts the server, and creates
> one thread for each socket that is configured.  That thread sits in accept, and
> passes the accepted socket to worker threads.  This seems like a waste of
> resources, but I will accept that the Windows experts know what they are doing.
> My problem is that it doesn't really fit the model above. I guess that Windows
> could work by using the first hook above, and then looping through the
> apr_pollfd_t, creating threads that call the third hook above.

Uh... no, that's AcceptEx, and it has entirely different mechanics.  There will
always be data to process when a winsock has accept-ex-ed a socket (thus the
different API.)  Ergo, no thread is woken until it has a job to do.

You don't have an empty 'I'm Here' cycle on Windows.  Therefore the mechanics of
your hook mechansim should reflect that.  Having a single acceptor thread would
actually incur a much larger problem in scalability, for which there is no
reason to force threads to wait in the queue.

Also, waitformultipleobjects only accepts some 65 events (timeout + 64 entries)
so it's a rather limited server (as 1.3 was) that can only listen to 64 sockets.

Bill