httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 ROADMAP STATUS
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2001 04:02:00 GMT
From: "Ryan Bloom" <rbb@covalent.net>
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2001 9:45 PM

> My guess is that once 2.0 goes GA, we'll all be busy fixing bugs and
> working on more fun stuff for a while.  Also, take a look at everything in
> the ROADMAP file.  99% of it can be done as a dot release in the 2.0
> tree.  Most of it doesn't require large portions of the code to be re-written.

The only bit that causes problems is introducing/rearchitecting modules, such
as the auth stuff.  Yes, incremental changes could go into 2.0.x, but dropping
out a module [such as splitting mod_auth in two] or the apr_file_t member of the
request rec are really significant enough to warrent the 2.1 bump.

The splitting-a-module means their old config files are [probably] broken.  For
the user's sanity, a 2.1 bump makes sense.

The apr_file_t member means modules must be recrafted to pay attention to this
open file handle.  I think the _real_ benefit is to split out the filesystem as
it's own module, much like mod_dav_fs.

In any case, plenty of folks regularly complain that their suggestions are
ignored, or are discussed and just drop.  That isn't a good way to attract
contributors.  ROADMAP allows us to do some planing/architecting into the
future, beyond the event horizion.

I'm really beginning to believe that nayoga's bugzilla might be [part of] the
answer to the headaches.

Bill