httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: MPM re-write for network logic
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2001 14:46:12 GMT

> On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> > > are you referring to multiplexing transport layers?  'cause what's there
> > > already should work fine for non-multiplexed transports... i.e. you've got
> > > SSL implemented already.
> >
> > The idea is to allow an MPM to use multiple communication mediums.  For
> > example, IBM has the AFPA cache, which doesn't communicate over regular
> > sockets.  It uses it's own socket type.  Our SSL implementation encrypts the
> > data in memory, and we just write the data to the socket using the standard
> > apr network calls.
>
> jeez, that's so stupid.  years ago when IBM asked me for input on the
> design they were planning to do it right:  cache misses appear in userland
> as sockets.

This AFPA cache funkiness is just on windows.  Sort of hard to "do it right" when you
don't have the Windows socket source code to play with. Well, yea, it would be possible to
use the loopback interface but that has problems of its own.

This is a filter design discussion, not an AFPA discussion. AFPA, right or wrong, seems to
be a good test of the filter design. I am -absolutely- against anything unnatural going
into Apache 2.0 on behalf of AFPA or any other proprietary hack. Go back and read that
last sentence again to make sure the message sinks in.

BTW, your IOL's were a perfect solution. last week I posted a patch to the list the
reintroduced a socket IOL that solved the problem. Both Ryan and Roy said that if filters
could not do what I needed them to do, then they were broken. Well, they are broken and
Ryan's trying to get them right.  And Roy posted an excellent summary of why Apache 2.0
filters are broken.

> > I hope I answered your question, but I'm not sure that I did.
>
> you might also want to think about webmux.  'cause i think it breaks some
> more assumptions you're making (such as 1:1 mapping between client and
> kernel network object).

Yep. This is a variation of the event driven network API. And now is the time to get this
right IMHO.

Bill