httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: ssl-std.conf
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2001 00:06:21 GMT
From: "Daniel Lopez" <daniel@rawbyte.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2001 5:40 PM

> > But that makes no sense! I can have dozens of "Listen" directives (without
> > dozens of virtual hosts!), or a <Virtualhost ip.ad.d.r:*> block.
> > So what would you write on the ServerName then?
> >   "ServerName host.name.dom:*" ?
>
> I agree with you. I never really understood the need to remove the port
> directive, I never heard anybody complain about it. It just confuses people.

No... they are confused [search bugs, and the lists, and the newsgroups.]

A vhost (or the default server) has one and only one identity [servername]
but potentially many aliases [serveralias].  A vhost has one and only one
port identity as well [was Port], which has simply been combined with it's
one and only one identity.

Not really confusing, when you remember that ServerName/ServerAlias are only
identities, and Listen is the actual port configuration.

Bill