httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <>
Subject Re: DSO
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2001 11:15:26 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz <> writes:

> On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 08:31:16AM -0700, Aaron Bannert wrote:
> > I propose we simply get rid of the "if test" in the above code snippit,
> > and default to "static" for mod_so, since by default we have some
> > modules already turned on.  Alternatively we could default to "no"
> > and simply set "enable_so=yes" as soon as any APACHE_MODULE call ends
> > in something non-"no".
> Well, I'm kind of thinking we should always build mod_so.  I've run
> into the case where I haven't built any shared core libraries (i.e.
> in the tree), but have wanted to install a "separate" module (i.e.
> mod_webapp) which must be built as shared.  Since I didn't compile
> in mod_so, I needed to do a full recompile to enable mod_so.  Yuck.

It sounds reasonable to me to build mod_so by default, but I think
that the builder should be able to turn off mod_so.

Somebody putting together a package for distribution/support ought to
be able to decide what modules they are willing to deal with, and
mod_so opens up everything.  I doubt that a commercial vendor would
make such a decision, but certainly within an organization it might
make sense.  I bet a lot of companies would like a build of IIS to
put on their employees' machines which could not be made to do
anything other than serve static pages :)

Jeff Trawick | | PGP public key at web site:
             Born in Roswell... married an alien...

View raw message