httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <sl...@commerce.ubc.ca>
Subject Re: Authentication Questions
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2001 03:30:03 GMT

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, Jorge Roque wrote:

> I am trying to set "Basic" Authentication with Apache. I create an
> account with "htpasswd" in "AuthUserFile /home/public/wwwroot/passwd"
> and when I try to access the folder I received the authentication prompt
> but it continues to ask me for a user ID and password and does not let
> me get in.
>
> The following is my configuration:
>
>  <Directory "/docs/">

A few points:

1. This is not a user support mailing list.  You should be asking this
question in one of the forums listed here:

2. Three things you should look for

a) Are you using a cobalt box or another setup with mod_auth_sys or a
similar module?  If so, you need to disable that module to allow mod_auth
to work.

b) <Directory> takes unix filesystem paths, not web paths, so unless
/docs/ is a directory under your unix filesystem root, that is not
correct.

c) The error log often contains useful debugging information.  Always
include its contents in problem reports.

Joshua.