httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <sl...@commerce.ubc.ca>
Subject Re: Not-a-bug: .asis handler isn't driven
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2001 20:42:12 GMT

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> If it's an element of the Accept-* negotiation, it needs to be
> multiview-matched.  If it isn't, it has no business in there.
>
> If you disagree with the above sentence, let's narrow the argument to
> that statement.

I've only read this thread very quickly (just catching up on mail),
but let me reiterate a point that I believe has been mentioned briefly:

Multiviews has two purposes in 1.3: It can be used for negotiated
documents, or it can be used to hide implementation details.

The first part is obvious.  To be specific about the second part,
the idea is:
1. File extensions are a convenient way to store/configure
meta-information about resources.
2. The URLs do not need to contain this meta-information, and in fact
often SHOULD NOT contain it.

For example, the URL may be
http://example.com/info
This may start off as info.html, but later an ssi document is substituted
so it becomes info.shtml, and later the url is changed so info.asis is
substituted.  The client doesn't care about all this garbage, since it can
just request /info and get the correct thing.

Yes, it is bogus that a selection can be made based on length.  It is a
configuration error to put have two different files which may be selected
by multi-views but are not "negotiable" with the client.  Either an error
could be returned, or we could just document that the selection is
arbitrary in that case.

Joshua.