httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <>
Subject Re: track memory leaks in apache.
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2001 16:08:47 GMT
On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Sunitha Kumar wrote:

> Wanted to find out if there was any thread or documentation which
> speak about this. Also, the apache documentation refers to an alloc.c
> file. Where is this?

You're looking at outdated documentation.  1.3's alloc.c now lives in APR
under memory/unix/apr_pools.c.

> And, what are the tools that people have used for tracking leaks,
> Efence, zmalloc, dmalloc, purify?

Various people have used at least efence and purify, maybe others.  But
the whole point of the pools system is that it's very unlikely to get true
memory leaks.  Sometimes we have a resource (file handle, socket, etc)
live longer than we wanted, and we consider that a leak, but you won't
find that kind of thing with efence and I doubt you'd find it with purify
or any of the others either.

   Cliff Woolley
   Charlottesville, VA

View raw message