httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: SSL configuration file
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2001 02:24:48 GMT
On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> I'm obviously missing something here...  Shouldn't the most simplisitic
> config syntax for mod_ssl simply be:
>
> <IfModule mod_ssl.c>
>   <VirtualHost _default_:443>
>     DocumentRoot htdocs
>     SSLEngine on
>     SSLCertificateFile /path/to/my/certificate/file
>   </VirtualHost>
> </IfModule>
>
> I'm just not really seeing why we need this config to be separated out
> into another file.  We don't need to have an example that shows
> everything - just the most simplistic and common case.  Anything else
> should be RTFM.  -- justin

I don't much like the idea of splitting it out either, but it is true that
many people just use the default configuration and don't RTFM.  And the
above configuration has pretty much zero chance of working correctly for
all browsers in the real world (IE is especially a pain in the neck).
The most simplistic config that will actually work right needs to set up a
session cache and do two or three browsermatch's to accomodate broken
browsers (IE).  :-/ It's still not that many lines, but whatever.

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA