httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/support checkgid.c Makefile.tmpl
Date Sun, 28 Oct 2001 16:54:54 GMT
On 26 Oct 2001 coar@apache.org wrote:

> coar        01/10/26 11:05:26
>
>   Modified:    src      CHANGES
>                src/support Makefile.tmpl
>   Added:       src/support checkgid.c
>   Log:
>   	Some platforms varf on a setgid(-1) and hence httpd will fall
>   	over immediately after being started.  However, since
>   	'Group #-1' is syntactically correct, apachectl won't catch
>   	this and will assume the server started successfully.  This
>   	checkgid app will return -1 if any of the Apache-understandable
>   	group values (i.e., name or "#n") are invalid.  apachestl still
>   	needs to be enhanced to use this.

Woah!

It is completely bogus to start adding support programs to check every
possible error condition, and then expect to add them all to apachectl to
second-guess Apache.  You will end up with subtle differences in what one
accepts and the other doesn't, I have no idea how you expect to find out
what Group directive is set in the config file from apachectl, etc.

It results in all the error checking code being duplicated in two places,
and requires twice the work to maintain.  The proper solution is to either
have Apache do more checking itself before it daemonizes or change
apachectl to handle errors that happen after it daemonizes.  It is not to
duplicate all the error checking code in external programs.