httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: MIME & negociation borked the charset?
Date Sun, 21 Oct 2001 20:14:06 GMT
On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> And as for whether always adding a charset is appropriate
> or not -- that was decided, and not recently, as the answer
> to the cross-site-scripting issue.  We provide a means of
> *always* specifying a charset, and the www.apache.org server
> was doing so -- at least for a while.  Now it is not.

well, for text/plain or text/html documents.  Not for everything else.

Sadly, it isn't enabled by default due to the below issue...

> As for Draconianly specifying "; charset=iso-8859-1" on
> anything that doesn't have one.. so specify something else
> as the default, or whomever the 'lazy programer' is should
> get off the glutei and explicitly associate the appropriate
> charset with all the content-types for which the default is
> not appropriate.  But don't assume omitting it is a Good Thing,
> *especially* for .html files, because it ain't. :-)

well, unfortunately this is the age old problem of conflicts between
metadata for a resource and the resource itself.  All too often people
can't set the right charset in the headers, so they have to do it in a
meta tag in the body.  And the meta tag in the body won't have an impact
if there is one specified in the headers.