httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "RCHAPACH Rochester" <rchap...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: ErrorDocument and IE 5.0
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2001 17:06:10 GMT

Thanks.  We'll try that.  We also found some META tags that seem to play
into this.

<META NAME="KEYWORDS" CONTENT="Smart404; 404; error;"/>
<META NAME="DESCRIPTION" CONTENT="Smart404. 404 Error handler."/>
<META NAME="CATEGORY" CONTENT="Error 404 page"/>

Seems like if we return any one of these, we can override the browser
setting.

Rob Simonson
simo@us.ibm.com

                    <joshua@slive.

                    ca>                  To:     <dev@httpd.apache.org>

                                         cc:

                    10/12/2001           Subject:     Re: ErrorDocument and IE 5.0

                    09:33 AM

                    Please respond

                    to dev

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Robert Simonson wrote:

> Does anyone know how to override the IE 5.0 "Show friendly HTTP error
> messages" setting?
> Right now, if an ErrorDocument is set and the IE browser has the
"friendly
> messages" option set
> the ErrorDocument does not show up on the browser.  IE does it's own
thing.
> Is there some
> magic incantation that MS has to override this setting?

MSIE uses a size threshold to determine whether it thinks your error
message is interesting enough to display.  To make sure that your message
is seen, just pad it with blanks to make it "big enough".

Joshua.