httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Wilt, Paul" <pw...@xanedu.com>
Subject RE: .asis handler isn't driven
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2001 17:17:30 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: William A. Rowe, Jr. [mailto:wrowe@covalent.net]
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2001 1:02 PM
To: dev@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: .asis handler isn't driven

From: "Greg Ames" <gregames@remulak.net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2001 11:44 AM

> "William A. Rowe, Jr." wrote:
>
>> A lot of these just sound like configuration errors.  I don't think we
>> should write a lot of code to deal with them.  If we serve an arbitrary
>> file, fine; if we produce an error message, also fine, as long as our
>> code kept simple.

> The directory CONTENTS cannot be construed as a config error.

> Very often the admin (configurator) has nothing to do with the author
> who is populating the directory.

> IMHO, if we have unpredictable behavior due to directory -contents-,
> then mod_negotiation is broken.
William is correct.  Unpredictable behavior *means* broken.  If you
relegate this to documentation you will have many people who will chalk
unpredictable behavior up as a buggy mod_negotiation.

> If we can agree on some scheme to handle examples, such as the above,
> then I could begin to have some confidence.  If we can't -clearly-
> document the expected behavior (whatever we agree that is), then it
> is too complex for reason.  And if it's too complex to configure or
> administer, I'm willing to propose we drop mod_negotation entirely.

> In the words of many administrators, "It shouldn't be this hard to
> understand."

> Bill

Paul E Wilt
Principal Software Engineer
XanEdu, Inc. (division of Proquest Information and Learning)
http://www.xanedu.com  mailto:pwilt@XanEdu.com
300 North Zeeb Rd      Phone: (734) 302-6545  (800) 218-5971 x6545
Ann Arbor, MI 48106    Fax:   (734) 975-6440