httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>
Subject Re: New proxy hook
Date Sun, 21 Oct 2001 00:06:40 GMT

On Saturday, October 20, 2001, at 03:47 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> [...]

Yes.

> We should already have two filter chains, one that proxy retrieves the
> content from, and one that the server is using to fulfill the request.
> [Except, perhaps, with a straight-through CONNECT proxy.]

Definitely no 2nd chain for CONNECT.

The symmetry of filters in general has gotten much better since the
first beta, but I believe that inserting FIXUP_HEADERS_OUT into the
proxy's output filter chain (the one used for connecting to origin
servers) still won't do the trick.

Daniel's hook solves this problem nicely for proxy. Mod_headers is
symmetric (can do the same ops on its input and output side) now, but
lacks an efficient way to change its rules on a per request basis. And
IIUC hooks are in part a method of providing custom processing "taps" in
a filter chain.

If we were designing something intended to be a network node rather than
a server, something that was as likely to make an outbound connection as
service an inbound one, I think we would build filters a bit
differently. But we're not doing that for the general case here. So I
think the hook is a good solution.

Chuck