httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@remulak.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2001 22:20:48 GMT
"William A. Rowe, Jr." wrote:

> Let me make this _perfectly_clear_, the only reason .asis worked before is that
> _every_ filename extension worked before.  .bak, .old, didn't matter.  Everything
> was served, and many users (>100) complained that there was some 'bug' in their
> apache installation.  You may call that a misconfiguration, but our users disagree.

I agree, that sounds pretty bogus to me also.  I do appreciate all your
efforts in resolving it.

How about this: we keep track of the extensions added by AddHandler &
Add*Filter, and allow them to match, along with the conventional mime
type extensions.  I believe the code I committed is doing that already,
right?

If you think about the steps involved in moving the
/www.apache.org/search.html link, that works out rather smoothly without
any new externals, or confusion:

1. create and test the /search.apache.org/ site and vhost definitions.
No ambiguity so far.
2. create the /www/www.apache.org/search.html.asis file to redirect
people with old links.  search.html still exists in the same directory,
so there are ambiguous matches at this instant.
3. delete the search.html file.  no more ambiguity.

The beauty of it is that users are able to get something back at their
browsers all through this process.  During step 2, we resolve the
ambiguity by picking the smallest file.  Fine; the user didn't get a 404
in this window.  A few seconds later we complete step 3 and users
definitely get the new stuff.

If I were the admin doing this and didn't know any better, I might have
renamed search.html to search.html.hide or .old or something in step 3,
just because I've been burned too many times by deleting stuff
altogether.  I wouldn't have been very happy if Apache served it
after I tried to hide it, no matter what size it was.

Greg