httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/http mod_mime.c
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2001 20:16:59 GMT
"William A. Rowe, Jr." wrote:

> If the administrator uses AddHandler for
> .cgi, .php, .shtml and .foo, and all four
> of these files exist in /htdocs,
> which one should mod_negotation elect?

And what about extensions that have meaning to both,
hmm?  Such as AddHander server-parsed .html?

> Since we have no mechanics to assign any preference,
> I depreciated the broken behavior.

The inability to specify a preference is *not* broken.

> If the user browses to index.cgi, index.php, index.shtml,
> or index.foo, they will get the correct content.  If they
> browse to index, they would find a Not Found.

Now *that's* broken, and badly.  What they should get is
a 300 Multiple Choices.

> Greg Ames reverted to the 1.3 behavior, where they will
> get the smallest of the four files (of these four Handler
> variants.)  This was wrong before, and is certainly wrong
> for 2.0 forward.

I disagree that it was necessarily wrong.  Suboptimal,
but not automatically wrong.

> When we allow the administrator to prioritize between
> these handler/filter assignments, then we can permit
> such filename extensions to participate in Multiviews.
> Until then, this behavior is unacceptable.

Strong words..  and they seem to assume that extensions
will only participate in the content-type OR the handler/filter
axes, but not both.  Which is a bogus assumption (I say
that because I use 'em that way myself).

	:
> and choosing the 'wrong file' from negotation is a bug,
> not misconfiguration.

Oh, bollocks.  :-)  If there are multiple files that
mee the criteria, *none* of them are the 'wrong file'
(yes, I noticed the quotes).  They are all equally
acceptable to the client, and the server is permitted
to break the tie however it likes.
--
#ken	P-)}