httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@remulak.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/http mod_mime.c
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2001 17:33:32 GMT
"William A. Rowe, Jr." wrote:

> Did the type definition I provided for .asis not work correctly to
> also resolve your problem?  The beauty for .asis, the content type
> is completely replaced by the .asis body ;)

Sorry, but I don't know what you're talking about here.  I'll go search
the archives and/or check to insure that the problem still exists
without this patch.

> I'm vetoing this patch until some mechansim for weighting different
> multimatch targets by handler or by filter is introduced.

Externalizing a weighting mechanism for handlers or filters is
over-engineering IMO.  I have yet to see a good use case to justify this
additional complexity.

Certainly, negotiation is needed for languages, charsets, encodings and
types.  It's nice that we were able to use some of those internals to
allow implicit matches for handler and filter filename extentions.
However, just because we're taking advantage of the plumbing doesn't
mean we need full externalized support for multiviews for this stuff.

> Just because it 'worked' on 1.3 doesn't make it the right behavior.

It is a fine behavior.  Rejecting the request when there are ambiguous
matches for handlers etc. might have been even finer in retrospect, but
now we have a precedent.

> You don't need to back out, we just need to solve before 2.0.26.

What's the urgency?  We have enough real problems to work on.  I'm still
not ready to try the current HEAD in production on daedalus, but we are
getting closer.

> What is the multiview mechanics?

K.I.S.S.  Why do we need multiviews for handlers etc?  Are any users
asking for this support?  What can I do with it that I can't do
otherwise?  How would the documentation for such a feature read?

Greg