httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: 1.3.21 fails on NetWare... please check other platforms..
Date Sun, 07 Oct 2001 13:14:57 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Uggg... this movement of the htdocs to it's own CVS tree
> has caused more trouble then it's worth IMO...

Not only is that unrelated to the current snafu, but I
disagree with the sentiment.  Breaking the docco out
has resulted in an order of magnitude improvement in
the quality.

There are (at least) two reasons for having the docco in
a separate tree: one is for separation of authority (so
docco people won't/can't bork the source), and the other
is mail traffic.  With our current CVS scripts, moving
the docco back into the source module would require that
a) all docco people have full access to the source, and
b) all docco people AND all developers would have to endure
mail dealing with anything in the tree.

I have a set of improved scripts to handle the mail issue
(though Roy doesn't want them), but not for the separation
of authority one -- access control is still at the module
level.
--
#ken	P-)}