httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0 and firewalls
Date Sat, 06 Oct 2001 20:35:37 GMT
G√ľnter Knauf wrote:

 > Hi,
 > I'm posting this for another one who asked me to do so (he's not subscribe=
 > d to list).
 > Apache 2.0.2x on W2K AS. The symtom is that the first access to the server=
 >  works, the second then only transmits a part of the html and then blocks =
 > and times out. No entries in the logs, and restarting Apache doesnt help. =
 > When you then restart W2K, while downing a GPF in ntoskrnl.exe occures. He=
 >  tracked this down to a problem with the firewalls he uses: Sygate PFW 4.2=
 >  and Tiny PFW 2.014 do not work with Apache 2.0, but Zonalarm pro and OutP=
 > ost 1.0 do. Apache 1.3 works fine with all firewalls, and specially with t=
 > he same configuration on the same machine!
 > Any ideas what's the difference between Apache 1.3 listen on port 80 and A=
 > pache 2.0 listen on port 80??
 > Guenter.

Hi Guenter.
I would suggest 2 things.
1. get a packet trace of what packets are going through the network.
	tcpdump on a unixbox is great.
	windump on NT/w2k
	and analyzer

2. with the personal firewall, check to see if apache2 is allowed to listen.
	(BTW.. I just downloaded the sygate one and it works for me)
	sygate asked me a question about allowing access, and I clicked yes and
	the connection went through

View raw message