httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: .asis handler isn't driven
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2001 14:09:41 GMT
"William A. Rowe, Jr." wrote:

> No.  multiviews were created to allow the -client- to
> select one of many variants based on their preferences
> (gzip/no gzip, english or croatian, html or image.)

Not quite.  As has been pointed out, 'negociation' is a bad
term for what goes on -- which is the server trying to
make an intelligent selection of a variant according to
the parameters supplied by the client.  The client does
*no* selection, it just provides the parameters.

And to all the people saying 'size should never have been
a factor' I say 'BS'.  If all of the variants are equally
acceptable according to the client's parameters, it makes
*perfect* sense to send the one that takes the least bandwidth.
The problem, of course, is that the definition of 'equally
acceptable' is moot.  In this case, it is up to the Webmaster
to assign quality ratings.

> It shouldn't become a dumping ground for every flip-flop
> the administrator chooses to make.

Things change.  The Web was only 'supposed' to interlink
text documents.  Back when we were a bunch of Webmasters
only, we made changes that made our lives easier.  Now
that most of the people here are *not* Webmasters, what's
our motivation for making changes?  If it's anything to
do with usability, then it behooves us to pay attention
to ways to make things easier for users, and NOT to dictate
to them how or how not to run their sites.
--
#ken	P-)}