httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@remulak.net>
Subject Re: .asis handler isn't driven
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2001 14:44:36 GMT
"William A. Rowe, Jr." wrote:

> Greg, this isn't an error, and the early "Success" was a catastrophic
> failure for many cases.

Sir, you are mistaken.  daedalus's config file contains

 AddHandler send-as-is asis

That says that if /search.html is requested, and file
<docroot>/search.html.asis exists, it is a match and it to be served by
the handler who understands the "send-as_is" string (mod_asis's
handler), without interference from other modules.  That no longer
happens.  We cannot put this code into production until it is fixed.

> If a user of 1.3/earlier 2.0 copied index.html to index.html.bak, and
> added a new paragraph to index.html, then queried index.html ...
>
> index.html.bak was returned, since the file was _smaller_.

I agree...that's clearly wrong.  But so is the current fix.

> Any extension that A) was not requested, or B) is not negotatied
> is not eligable to be served.

Please take a look at this:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_asis.html

This shows an example of a .asis file being used to redirect a URL which
has moved.  That's how we are using it on apache.org.  It would be
useless if the user had to type in a new URL
(http://www.apache.org/search.html.asis) to get a match.  The point is
to allow the old URI (/search.html) to match the
<docroot>/search.html.asis file, which contains the proper headers to
redirect the user to the new location.

Greg