httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>
Subject Re: New proxy hook
Date Sat, 20 Oct 2001 19:32:30 GMT

On Saturday, October 20, 2001, at 01:02 PM, Daniel Lopez wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 11:16:10AM +0200, Graham Leggett wrote:
>> Daniel Lopez wrote:
>>
>>> I need an additional hook to process headers before they are sent to
>>> the
>>> origin server in a reverse proxy configuration.
>>
>> Use mod_headers for this - it was modified to handle this behavior a
>> while back.
>
> client <--->  apache with reverse proxy  <-->  origin server
>
> mod_headers allows modification of headers between client and apache,
> but
> not headers between proxy and origin server.
>
>> Adding hooks to proxy is bad, because it means that this functionality
>> is limited to proxy, and is not available to the rest of the server.
>
> But this is proxy specific functionality :)

Yes, this is specifically used by the proxy's "client side", connecting
to an origin server. Sorry I was not clearer the first time. The sweet
way to do this would be having the ability to set up a second filter
chain on the client side. It seems hard to justify doing that work only
for the proxy though.

Chuck