httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/conf ssl-std.conf
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2001 17:11:30 GMT
On Wednesday 31 October 2001 09:04 am, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 10:49:33AM -0600, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> > OTOH, this doesn't work for static builds of mod_ssl.c, since the user
> > can't unload modules from Apache 2.0 and re-add in the same way as 1.3
> > did. So we may wish to provide a mechansm for them to cripple ssl
> > convenienly.
>
> Hmm, sounds like we should have a syntax that says, "Static module foo
> go away.  I don't like you anymore."  Can't be too hard, can it?  =)
> Actually, it might be...

No it's easy, but it requires adding back ClearModuleList and AddModule, which
is just a mess IMHO.

> > I was under the impression we had decided so.  I guess I'm mistaken, and
> > on this entire issue, I'm agnostic.  We have a means in Apache 2.0 to
> > change the startup args, so to enable ssl, simply;
> >
> > apache -k config -n ApacheSSL -D SSL -d d:\serverroot -f conf\httpd.conf
> >
> > Really simple, actually.
>
> Yeah, but most people (at least in Unix land) will use apachectl.  And,
> from my perspective, adding the -D SSL to apachectl seems like the
> wrong thing to be doing (if you do a make install over an exisiting
> installation, apachectl will get blown away - as does mime.types which
> is *really* pissing me off - but that's another issue).  IMHO, this
> should be handled in the config file not in the startup invocation.
> How about adding a config semantic like:
>
> Define SSL
>
> to the config file?  It would essentially do the same thing as the
> -D SSL option (and I guess you could continue to do that), but add it
> on the first pass through the config tree (we do it twice right, so if
> we caught it the first time around, when we parse it the second time,
> <IfDefine SSL> works?).  -- justin

Just add startssl to apachectl, which adds the -DSSL, same way we do
with Apache 1.3.  We have to support startssl anyway, because there are
going to be a lot of admins with scripts that rely on it.  Why are we trying
to re-invent the wheel here?

Ryan

Ryan Bloom				rbb@apache.org