httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <Martin.Krae...@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/support checkgid.c Makefile.tmpl
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2001 16:15:50 GMT
On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 02:41:43PM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Marc Slemko wrote:
> >
> > It is the start of a very ugly trend.

I fear I have to agree with Marc here.

> Okey, I'm convinced.  It would be better to have this
> done by httpd itself in some way in which apachectl
> can detect the failure -- like doing the setuid() and
> setgid() before detach().  (Having apachectl check the
> log for the start message is just as ugly as my original
> idea because of the locating and parsing the logfile
> issue.)

IMHO this is an issue for "make install" and neither for
apachectl nor for httpd's startup phase.

"Make install" inserts "Group #-1" into the config, and could
just as well do a quick check over "#-1", "nobody" and "nogroup".

Anything the admin will configure after that is up to her, and she
better know where the error_log file is.

With that in mind, I agree on the source of checkgid being in the
source tree, but I disagree a little (-0.5)  with it being installed
as a support tool proper. On a different target machine (in the case
of binbuild.sh), groups may be configured differently, but that
should IMO be handled by the administrator there.

Just my $.02

   Martin
--
<Martin.Kraemer@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>         |     Fujitsu Siemens
Fon: +49-89-636-46021, FAX: +49-89-636-47655 | 81730  Munich,  Germany