httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: no seg fault recovery with worker or threaded
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2001 06:59:41 GMT
On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 05:00:04PM -0400, Greg Ames wrote:
> Feeling brave, I decided to build with the threaded MPM and try a log
> replay.  I got a bunch of seg faults very quickly, no dump, and got
> seg-fault-but-no-dump log messages.  ps makes it look like the main
> thread bailed out before all its worker threads exited.  The server then
> became useless.
>
> I re-built with the worker MPM, and got very similar results.

FWIW, I took a fresh CVS checkout and worker is restarting fine for
me.  Can anyone else reproduce this?  I tried killing off processes
(sending the child a SIGKILL directly), and worker spawned off a new
process accordingly (yay!) - took about a second, but that's the
idle server maint period, IIRC.

> The original cause of the seg faults might be more dir_merge issues.
> http://java.apache.org/james/dist/ fails fairly consistantly, and all of
> the recent merge problems we've seen have been for directory URLs.  But
> I'm more concerned that the MPMs aren't recovering from a worker thread
> seg fault.

Huh.  http://java.apache.org/james/dist/ is a permanently redirected
URL.

GET /james/dist/ HTTP/1.1