httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/http http_protocol.c
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2001 06:43:38 GMT
On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 10:14:04PM -0700, Aaron Bannert wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 04:40:14AM -0000, wrote:
> >        do {
> >   +        apr_off_t len_read;
> You don't want to do that, you are growing and shrinking the stack for
> each iteration through the loop.

The compilers that I've written use the max size for the stack frame, set up
the base register on function entry, and just index from there. There is no
"grow / shrink" involved.

Let's assume that I had no idea what I was doing, and "proper" compilers
*do* grow/shrink the stack frame.... So fucking what?

   func(a, b, c)

"Oh no! That grows the stack frame!"

I see absolutely no reason to complain about growing/shrinking the stack
frame in a patch. Talk about other issues, but *leave* that one out.

Greg Stein,

View raw message