httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: Placing a recent snapshot on daedalus?
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2001 19:43:26 GMT
On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 12:36:51PM -0700, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> Daedalus is NOT a location to be sanity checking new code.  When
> www.apache.org goes down, people notice.  The current code should
> not be placed on www.apache.org until it has been tested extensively
> on a lot of other machines.

I realize that, but I have tested it everywhere where I can do so
(it is running on apachelabs.org).  AFAIK, the core input filters
are working correctly.  There have been some minor quibbles which
are getting fixed as fast as they are being pointed out.  At this
point, it just needs to be tested and used.

I was also suggesting that a CVS snapshot be placed against a
log replay - I think Greg and some others have done this in the
past to "simulate" Daedalus's load.  But, this code really needs
to interact with real browsers and real latency.  This can't be
easily simulated with any test tool.

I was just thinking that this might be the quickest way to get it
some testing since people don't have the time to actually test
this stuff out on a regular basis.  This would force it to get
used and all of the bugs to be worked out.  The sooner we find
them, the sooner the problems are fixed.  -- justin