httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <>
Subject Re: DSO
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2001 13:32:22 GMT
On Monday 08 October 2001 08:21 pm, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 08:31:16AM -0700, Aaron Bannert wrote:
> > I propose we simply get rid of the "if test" in the above code snippit,
> > and default to "static" for mod_so, since by default we have some
> > modules already turned on.  Alternatively we could default to "no"
> > and simply set "enable_so=yes" as soon as any APACHE_MODULE call ends
> > in something non-"no".
> Well, I'm kind of thinking we should always build mod_so.  I've run
> into the case where I haven't built any shared core libraries (i.e.
> in the tree), but have wanted to install a "separate" module (i.e.
> mod_webapp) which must be built as shared.  Since I didn't compile
> in mod_so, I needed to do a full recompile to enable mod_so.  Yuck.
> So, +1 on removing the test and always building mod_so if the
> platform has shared object support - can we check that?  -- justin

There are a lot of people who dislike DSO's, and there are companies who
refuse to use them for security reasons.  I have had a couple of major
companies tell me that they want everything compiled statically.

As for the test, we should just do what we do for DAV.

Ryan Bloom
Covalent Technologies

View raw message