httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src CHANGES Configuration.tmpl Configure
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2001 16:27:37 GMT
On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 12:00:26PM -0400, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Except, of course, that your logic didn't work. What is needed is some
> way to say "use system, use expat-lite or use whichever you find first
> (prefer system)". If we *don't* provide a choice, then why have
> any sort of rule in the 1st place?? If EXPAT 'no' means Don't Use
> expat-lite then that's easy to fix.

RULE_EXPAT is for including expat, not for selecting which one.

The interesting choices, which were coded properly(*) before your change:

* use system if available; otherwise, use builtin
* don't include expat from anywhere
* if available somewhere, then use it; otherwise, skip

These correspond to Yes, No, and Default.

If there is a system expat available, then there is no reason to choose the
builtin one. That is not a required option. The system version is *always*
preferable.

Note that Martin checked in something (accidentally, I presume, based on the
rest of the commit) to this section of code, so reverting your change might
be a bit trickier. But your change does need to be reverted. The previous
code implemented the proper logic.

Cheers,
-g

(*) I did make a tweak post .21 tag which fixed a case where expat-lite was
removed from the source bundle (you had pointed out the typo/logic issue on
that one), but the code always implemented the right set of choices

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/