httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sander van Zoest <san...@vanZoest.com>
Subject Re: who is using the Expat bundled with Apache 1.3?
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2001 23:56:34 GMT
On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Greg Stein wrote:

> When Expat was added to Apache a couple years ago, part of the impetus was
> to make XML parsing a standard feature for the web server -- modules could
> count on it being present for their use.
> So now the question arises, who is using the Expat that is included with
> Apache 1.3? Was the goal of enabling XML usage successful?

At MP3.com, we used it to build our "new publishing model" that to some
state is still being used there today. See
<http://sander.vanzoest.com/apachecon/2000/> for a rough idea to what we
did. I think this could have been accomplished by not having expat in
1.3, but it definately helped us get started and was one of the main reasons
at the time to pick expat over any xml parser.

The conflicts we faced with XML::Parser and such because of it
made it less desired and having a seperate library which would be version
checked and added if compatible upon configuration would be desirable.

With the abillity to register functions from modules to be used by other
modules in 2.0, makes it less of an issue. A particular module can
bring in any xml generation/parsing functions it would want. Then the issue
becomes more incompatibilities between these functions and particular
modules.

Cheers,

--
Sander van Zoest                                          sander@vanzoest.com