httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <>
Subject Re: .asis handler isn't driven
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2001 20:43:09 GMT
On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 11:02:46AM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 12:01:54PM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> > IMHO, if we have unpredictable behavior due to directory -contents-,
> > then mod_negotiation is broken.

There was nothing unpredictable about it before.

> +1 (me too).
> Although I have no clue what the proper solution to this, I'm kind
> of sure that if we are choosing based off file size, that is wrong.
> There is no correlation between file size and actual content size
> (think of a php-file versus a static file).  The only thing I could
> think of is a preference directive like so:

The original purpose of content negotiation was to select the highest
quality and smallest transfer size image that a browser supports for
an in-line image.  Size does matter.

> Prefer html shtml php jsp cgi

We don't need another config directive.  All of these used to be special
mime types, but somebody decided it was better to define them as handlers.
Well, all we have to do then is add them to the mime type table (or as
a separate table) and score them higher in negotiation.

View raw message