httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: SSL configuration file [httpd-ssl.conf - new file to be added]
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2001 18:28:33 GMT
From: "Justin Erenkrantz" <jerenkrantz@ebuilt.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2001 1:20 PM

> On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 02:15:36PM -0400, Joshua Slive wrote:
> > In my opinion, there is way too much text in here.  Why don't we start by
> > creating a good set of docs for mod_ssl (currently there are none in the
> > repository).  Then the config file comments should contain only the most
> > crucial information (reminders, really) and a pointer to the docs.
>
> Exactly!  (My turn to use Ryan's phrase from the other day...)
>
> We don't need to list all of the possible alternatives either.
> Just the most sane one.  And, some of those values *are* the
> default - no need to specify them in our example config.

Bzzt ... no.  Anything the user is likely to want to change, EVEN if we
choose the default, should be listed.  Anything obscure or of limited
interest can be jettisoned.

But don't jettison anything from the config just 'because' it happens
to be a default.  Config merging is a tricky thing, the explicit config
may have a different effect on other sections than the implicit default.

Bill