httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: .asis handler isn't driven
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2001 18:25:43 GMT
From: "Joshua Slive" <joshua@slive.ca>
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2001 1:06 PM

> > From: William A. Rowe, Jr. [mailto:wrowe@covalent.net]
>
> > The directory CONTENTS cannot be construed as a config error.
> >
> > If we can agree on some scheme to handle examples, such as the above,
> > then I could begin to have some confidence.  If we can't -clearly-
> > document the expected behavior (whatever we agree that is), then it
> > is too complex for reason.  And if it's too complex to configure or
> > administer, I'm willing to propose we drop mod_negotation entirely.
> >

> Sure, it is confusing that adding a file to a directory can change the
> results for existing URLs.  But really, that is the whole point of
> multiviews.

No.  multiviews were created to allow the -client- to select one of many
variants based on their preferences (gzip/no gzip, english or croatian,
html or image.)  It shouldn't become a dumping ground for every flip-flop
the administrator chooses to make.

> It should not be used in the general case, but if people ask
> for multiviews, they are explicitly asking for the url to depend on the
> directory contents.  If an administrator turns on multiviews without
> informing web authors about the consequences, then he or she has made an
> error.

Oh come on ... you and I both know that getting server config info or
changes from the big mass-vhosting providers can be like pulling teeth.

> If that is not clear, then the documentation should be changed. (And
> I have no sympathy for people who try to use a complex feature like
> multiviews without reading the documentation.)

Nor I ... but let's assume they have limited information.  It should at
least be predictable.

Bill