httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: .asis handler isn't driven
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2001 18:22:11 GMT
From: "Justin Erenkrantz" <jerenkrantz@ebuilt.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2001 1:02 PM

> On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 12:01:54PM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> > IMHO, if we have unpredictable behavior due to directory -contents-,
> > then mod_negotiation is broken.
>
> +1 (me too).
>
> Although I have no clue what the proper solution to this, I'm kind
> of sure that if we are choosing based off file size, that is wrong.
> There is no correlation between file size and actual content size
> (think of a php-file versus a static file).  The only thing I could
> think of is a preference directive like so:
>
> Prefer html shtml php jsp cgi

This could be mapped by another integer, after the other variables
(language et al) and compared by index order (0 sorting first.)
Note that html wouldn't be in that list - it's a content type
(negotiated parameter) --- although it could be treated twice, to
carry additional weight in a dispute.

The others, php, jsp, cgi etc would be very appropriate in this list,
since they wouldn't toggle any other negotation parameters (unless they
are configured by mime-type rather than handler.)

> I'm not sure I absolutely like it, but I don't know how else we
> can achieve what we want.  It sounds like it must explicit.  I don't
> think there is anything we can or should do for 1.3, but for 2.0, I
> think we should come up with something that we agree is right.
>
> > In the words of many administrators, "It shouldn't be this hard to
> > understand."
>
> In the words of many developers, too.  -- justin

:)