httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Apache 1.3 :: Not-a-bug: .asis handler
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2001 18:18:57 GMT
From: "Justin Erenkrantz" <jerenkrantz@ebuilt.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2001 1:04 PM

> On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 12:07:46PM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> > It's bitten several folks.  It's been written up on bugtraq as an outstanding
> > case.  There are a dozen variations of cause and effect.  But whatever, you are

> > the RM, and nobody can veto a release.
>
> Pardon my ignorance, but why can't someone veto a release if they feel
> it is the wrong time to do so?  -- justin

http://dev.apache.org/guidelines.html

[-1 Votes]
No. On issues where consensus is required, this vote counts as a veto.
An action item requiring consensus approval must receive at least
3 binding +1 votes and no vetos. An action item requiring majority
approval must receive at least 3 binding +1 votes and more +1 votes
than -1 votes (i.e., a majority with a minimum quorum of three positive
votes). All other action items are considered to have lazy approval until
someone votes -1, after which point they are decided by either consensus
or a majority vote, depending upon the type of action item.

Release Testing
Majority approval is required before the tarball can be publically released.

So releasing a version of Apache is by Majority, not by Consensus.

And it is designed that way --- no one individual can stand in the way of
moving forward with changes.  The only reason my changes thus far are in
the 1.3.21 plan is that they have been on the table for some time, and the
RM concurred with including them (even by lazy concensus, nobody objected
when they were introduced into STATUS.)