httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: .asis handler isn't driven
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2001 17:01:54 GMT
From: "Greg Ames" <gregames@remulak.net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2001 11:44 AM

> "William A. Rowe, Jr." wrote:
> >
> > Better yet...
> >
> > DirectoryIndex index.html
> >
> > index.html.cgi
> > index.html.ssi
> >
> > where cgi is set via AddHandler, ssi is set via AddFilter.
> >
> > That is a really good demonstration.  Neither .cgi nor .ssi offers any
> > hint to mod_negotiation of what it aught to do.
> >
> > The smaller file wins, whether that makes a bit of sense, or not.
>
> A lot of these just sound like configuration errors.  I don't think we
> should write a lot of code to deal with them.  If we serve an arbitrary
> file, fine; if we produce an error message, also fine, as long as our
> code kept simple.

The directory CONTENTS cannot be construed as a config error.

Very often the admin (configurator) has nothing to do with the author
who is populating the directory.

IMHO, if we have unpredictable behavior due to directory -contents-,
then mod_negotiation is broken.

If we can agree on some scheme to handle examples, such as the above,
then I could begin to have some confidence.  If we can't -clearly-
document the expected behavior (whatever we agree that is), then it
is too complex for reason.  And if it's too complex to configure or
administer, I'm willing to propose we drop mod_negotation entirely.

In the words of many administrators, "It shouldn't be this hard to
understand."

Bill