httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: MIME & negociation borked the charset?
Date Sun, 21 Oct 2001 19:30:07 GMT
From: "Marc Slemko" <marcs@znep.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2001 2:06 PM

> On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
> > That's interesting, since http://www.apache.org/docs/ returns
> > Moved Permanantly.
> >
> > Which directive did you expect to behave which way?  And precisely
>
> Apache is supposed to default to adding an iso-8859-1 charset to
> the content-type if none is specified.  For _every_ response.

Not according to the .conf it's not... and I really expect that isn't
what you want for binary/octet-stream and other packages.  In fact,
someone who noticed a bunch of trounced non-html content is probably
the one who incited the change.  Just a thought.

> either that is broken and needs to be fixed, or www.apache.org is,
> for some odd reason, configured explicitly not to do that.

It seems you would want to set the content-type to iso-8859-1 only for
.html content, until it's overriden by a .fr, .ja.jis or other name.
Anything more draconian would probably not be good.

BTW... it's always worked this way, and still does, that any extension
that sets the content/type whacks the charset, etc, since they are
appended to r->content_type.  So foo.en.html wouldn't work in any case
since .html overrides .en. You can consider that broken, or not (I do),
but that's a behavior that has never been changed.

Bill