httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: [REWRITE] htpasswd.c
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2001 19:30:15 GMT

The other point I meant to make (sorry I forgot it) was that the folks
who use htpasswd/htdigest/dbmmanage today already have scripts that invoke
it.  If we change the commands and syntax, we break their existing efforts.

To introduce a (new) unified utility that managed htpasswd/htdigest/db/dbm
files, and _recognized_ the scheme in use, could be a very valuable thing.
But please don't change the semantics in such a way that we strand current
users of these utilities.  Most aren't even comfortable with the script
hacking required to fix the scripts they use for new arguments, etc.

Also realize, with dbmmanage, that it is built to export and then import
it's file.  Would be very good if that syntax remains unchanged, so that
users can upgrade from dbm to dbm, between 1.3 and 2.0.  I'm not suggesting
we would add this to 1.3, but whatever dbmmanage -save does today, we aught
to be able to reload in 2.0 :)

Bill